Monday, May 10, 2010

EPIC FAIL!



Absolute worst night of my life. It was one of those times of where I started second guessing myself. If the world was ending and a asteroid was heading toward the earth I would be more worried about my cooking than what was going on around me. I was trying to make artichoke with hollandaise sauce. With my first artichoke I attempted to make, it browned right when I tried to put it into the pot. From my understanding artichokes are not supposed to brown. I didn't understand what happened and then I figured out my dads dutch oven was leaking. All of a sudden hot water was all over the stove and all over me. I tried taking the artichoke out of the dutch oven with tongs but it didn't end up working that way.

Being so upset, I went to walmart again to get another artichoke, lemons and to find another dutch oven. I spent over an hour looking at my options. I ended up buying Paula Deen's 10 piece cook set. It seemed like a good idea because I hated my dads cook stuff cause its so old an I do want my own stuff. I had my eye on that set so it was a good time to buy it. After taking it all out of packaging I started cooking with it. While my dutch oven was attempting to boil water, I read the manual. Apparently I was supposed to remove all the package polish off of the copper before I started cooking. I had to dump out my boiling water and soak everything with baking soda to remove it for 20 minutes. Note that Paula Deen's set is porcelain, it takes a lot longer to cook things with and little did I know it didn't work on glass stoves.

I freaking took 1/2 hour to simmer water. I dumped like 5 tablespoons of salt in that pot and it still didn't work I was getting so mad cause I was getting hungry at 9 pm. I finally gave up and ended up dumping all the ingredients into the pot. I read that you are always supposed to pour the lemon juice in before you put in the artichoke. That way it doesn't brown, I did those instructions and it continued to brown. I do not understand what I did wrong. I think I need to read a lot more about artichokes. I texted my cooking friend Denise and she said browning artichokes seemed fine but for some reason I do not think that is right.

Now, lets talk about making my hollandaise sauce. I haven't separated egg yolks in so long, it was horrid. The last two I did were just fine but I kept on having to re-do the first one. I had a hard time separating for some reason. I was alternating the egg yolk in between the shells and it didn't really look like the first ones I did. So as I am cooking the sauce I kept on adding a bit more butter than ususal. Like I said before, you can NEVER have too much better. I looked good so I took it off the stove. My mom told me to cook it two minutes longer.

What do I do? I listen to my mom. She doesn't even cook and I listen to her, the sauce turned to shit. It was all flaky, gross, and well I just can't really describe how it turned out. I didn't really talk to my mom was I was packing up my cookware. What should I do now? Give up or find different recipes for all that I attempted to make tonight? I ended up returning Paula Deen's cookware to wal-mart. I loved her cookware, I think it would be fantastic to use but it just didn't work with my stove top. I wish I could be able to use it but I have a glass stove not a gas one. I took me forever to wait in line and to return it. They ended up giving me cash back, I think I will go to target and get Giada De Laurentiis brand of cookware.

This whole night I feel like I wanted to throw everything around the kitchen, yell, scream and cry on the fucking floor. Yeah I would act like a 5 year old but I did not vision making a 1 hour dinner turn into a whole night type of thing. I just want to cook, be happy and have good quality cookware to go with it. My dad has stainless steel appliances but I might want aluminium but everything must be nonstick base. My ideal cook set is by Giada De Laurentiis but its her 12 piece set that is $200. I don't got that much, anyone wanna give me suggestions? I don't want something way expensive but then again I don't want anything cheap either. I want something that is durable but not too heavy. I'm little so I don't wanna feel like I am lifting a bowling ball to cook. Overall, at the end of the day I am in a horrid mood, tired and did not eat a thing. This fucking sucks.

Bon Appetit!
-Maitreyee Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment