Sunday, May 2, 2010

Giada De Laurentiis and EATING!



I have OFFICIALLY decided that Giada De Laurentiis is my favorite Italian chef. Can you say GORGEOUS?? She is like one of the best Italian chefs and she knows how to make classic American food. What more can you ask for? I went to target and looked at her cooking line of products, a bit pricey but I would not mind purchasing her Panini grill. I could find other uses for it, grills are very versatile. I could watch her cooking shows for hours and I actually want her italian cookbook. I need money so I can buy all this cooking stuff. I also thought about getting back into sewing but I figure I'll get a sewing machine when I get married. Cooking is my priority now haha! Here are all the recipes that I wanna make from Giada De Laurentiis collection:
  • Shrimp, Asparagus and Pesto Fettuccine
  • Ravioli with Balsamic Brown Butter
  • Salmon baked in foil
  • Lasagna Rolls
  • Garlic Bread
  • Pasta, Pancetta and Peas
  • Chicken Parmesan
  • Beef and Cheese Lasagna
  • Fettuccine Alfredo
  • Linguine with Shrimp and Lemon Oil

I went to wal-mart and found Paula Deen's appliance collection, I am going to get a ton of stuff from her too. I like how colorful and durable they are. I have done my research and looked at reviews. I also went to Bed,Bath and Beyond. They are the only store that had a long zester for a good price. Who knew about that? haha. I am proud to say that my smoothie making has been getting better. I know that smoothies are the easiest thing to make but not when your blender breaks when your trying to use it. Fudge is also a dessert that can be rough to make like peanut brittle or toffee but I managed to do it today. I used Paula Deen's recipe and I turned out to be total BLISS!! one of my co-workers wants me to bring it in to work. I just might do that. Everyone who is friends with me on facebook knows that I cook. I talk about cooking everyday but its another thing when they can taste it.

I normally cook for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I don't make one dish, I make 5-9 dishes and no one complains. Some people hate cooking but I absolutely love it. I made my first smoked ham this past Thanksgiving along with stuffing, deviled eggs, spinach/artichoke dip, veggie dip, french bread, two-layer cake. I was so impressed with myself, so was everyone else who ate everything. Then on Christmas I made a mini turkey, even though it wasn't a full one its a good start. I don't know why I don't go to culinary school but I figure if I impress those of whom I care about its all good. Well, to be a chef is very expensive and if I did something like that I would want to travel the world and try new foods. I mean, trying crab legs for the first time was exciting. It was so good!!!

Speaking of seafood, I really wanna make lobster. I have no one to help me eat it or no money to make it. I heard that lobsters are very expensive. I have a full list of everything that I have been meaning to cook before I die. Lobster and various salmon, shrimp, tuna, sushi and crab recipes are on that list. There are so many things that you can do with seafood its amazing! This also reminds me of breakfast. There are so many different things you can make for breakfast. I am getting so tired of making bacon, omelets and toast every morning. I finally went to the store and bought hash browns to go with it. I am also going to try and make pancakes too. I know that pancakes aren't necessarily healthy but neither is bacon.

Since I have started cooking again I have gained weight, I don't think I should cook like I do everyday. I should cook 3 times a week, I figure that once I get married that my husband and I are going to get fat. Oh I just figured out that "extra-virgin" oil is "olive oil." I feel really pathetic but I had no idea. Its also more healthier for you than "vegetable oil." Its like buying butter, there are so many different kinds you somewhat need to know what you are looking for.

No matter what, you can NEVER have too much butter. Especially in Hollandaise sauce, I learned that on the Foodnetwork channel. I also realized that I forgot how to "properly" chop an onion. I learned in High School but I had totally forgotten. I also cut my finger off tonight trying to prepare one for tomorrow. I need to go on youtube or hang out with one of my cooking friends. It can be a "how to" day. I realized I need to learn a ton more about cooking. Learning how to cook Indian food is a must. I was born there so I need to learn how to make it.

I guess you can say that I am literally obsessed with cooking. Am I obsessed with eating? No. There is a difference, I don't like eating a lot of my food after I make it. I think that most chefs feel that way, you put so much time in cooking something; you want others to enjoy. I find it wierd how people eat out of random, because they are bored or use it for comfort. I eat when I am hungry then when I am full I stop eating. I know that my mom always snacks and she is on weight watchers. I always get after her cause she is supposed to be dieting but I hate how people just snack on little foods. I have no idea but it just bothers me. If you are at a party and there are finger foods then that is fine. Just eat little and save enough room for main course and possibly dessert. That is just my two cents.

Bon Appetit!
-Maitreyee Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment